Quonset Steel Huts – Revolutionary Steel Buildings
Quonset steel huts are considered to be the earliest kinds of architectural innovations in the field of steel buildings. Made up of corrugated galvanized iron, it is a lightweight prefabricated steel structure having a semi-circular cross-section. Dating back to the time of world wars, it got the name from its first site of construction – Quonset Point at Davisville Naval Construction Battalion Center in Davisville.
An architectural innovation that emerged out of a need has today become one of the most forward ways of construction. These prefabricated steel buildings do not require skilled labor in their construction and assembling. This served the purpose way back in 1941, when United States Navy needed such portable steel structures that could be shipped anywhere and could be assembled without any special skills.
A classic example of portable steel architecture, Quonset steel buildings soon became all about business when it was used for different kinds of commercial establishments. Quonset hut – Metal Living for a Modern Age, the book by Julie Decker and Chris Chiei looks back into history and finds out how the portable metal buildings shaped the Nation and got increasingly accepted.
Planning to buy a portable quonset hut?
- First and foremost, you need to check with your local zoning department if quonset prefabricated structures can be erected in your zone. The detailed zoning law specifications can be checked either from your local zoning office or city planning department.
- Next, you need to decide on the kind of quonset building you need. Whether you need a ‘full arch’ or ‘mailbox’ style. While the full arch has the traditional curved roof, the mailbox style quonset hut has a curved roof with straight walls. Depending on your preference or aesthetic sense you can choose either.
- Metal quonsets are quite different from conventional structures. Before you go for a quonset hut, make sure it meets your business requirements. Though prefabricated steel buildings are customizable but quonset hut’s basic structure cannot be customized.
- A peak into history and you would know how popular these prefabricated structures were. They were used for all almost all purposes; as galleys to shower rooms, dental offices to isolation wards and bakeries.
- Quonset steel buildings are more so often used for business purposes and mostly as storage facilities. In fact, this splendid form of portable steel architecture has revolutionized the agricultural farm buildings. These are best when used for storage purposes as it has the capability of withstanding the weather odds and also works against pest-infestation.
The revolution that started with Quonset Huts in the 20th century has led to the modern-age steel buildings which play a crucial role in sustainable development. These are significant in decreasing the earth’s burden; being more energy-efficient and less wasteful.
About the author:
City Steel Buildings is an online portal that connects steel buildings buyers and sellers; it helps you clinch the best of the deals in your preferred area in the US. Getting you connected with experts, CitySteelBuildings.com offers the free quotes with an absolutely No-obligation consultancy.
© Copyright, CitySteelBuildings.com. All rights reserved.
This Article is a Copyright of CitySteelBuildings.com. Republishing & syndication of this article is granted only with the due credit, as mentioned, retained in the republished article. Permission to reprint or republish does not waive any copyright. The text, hyperlinks embedded in the article and headers should remain unaltered. This article must not be used in unsolicited mail.